Handling and Packaging Museum Objects
6 September 2013
, 9:00am – 4.30pm
Hastings City Art Gallery, 201 Eastbourne Street East
, Hawkes Bay
$20 pay on the day
A National Services Te Paerangi workshop giving representatives from small museums, art galleries and iwi organisations the opportunity to learn more about safe handling and packaging of museum objects at an introductory level.
This workshop will explore:
- Safe materials to use for packing and storing museum objects
- Guidelines for handling and moving objects within the museum
- Preparing a workspace for working with museum objects
- Considerations for safe packaging including fragile objects, large works and photographs
- Labelling and identification of packed museum objects
- Nesting objects and creating custom boxes
Who will I meet?
- Trish Nugent–Lyne is Collection Manager at WhanganuiRegionalMuseum, where she manages a large collection with an emphasis on Whanganui social and natural history. She has advised many small museum and historical societies in the Whanganui, Rangitikei, Taranaki and Bay of Plenty on physical and database collection management procedures and collection care.
- You will also meet other museum personnel in your region – a great networking opportunity!
Who is it for?
- This is an introductory level workshop which gives representatives from museums, art galleries and iwi organisations the opportunity to learn, share ideas and ask more about object handling and packaging.
- Limited places are available and may be restricted to two per organisation depending on demand.
How do I sign up?
- Register online by clicking the registration button below
- Please register by Friday 23 August 2013 to ensure a place.
- If you have any questions, please contact National Services Te Paerangi - firstname.lastname@example.org or freephone: 0508 NSTP HELP (0508 678 743)
- The cost of this workshop is $20 to be paid on the day
What else do I need to know?
- Please bring a small object to the workshop to work on (not a piece from a collection)
- Bring a pen and paper to take notes
- Bring your lunch (morning & afternoon tea will be provided)
- Please be aware that your photo may be taken during the workshop, and photos may be used for National Services Te Paerangi purposes.